Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Daily Eye Candy: King's Daughters Inn

I journeyed to Durham, North Carolina for a week-in-residence recently, and I was put up in the King's Daughters Inn, a completely renovated home built in 1911 that originally provided subsidized housing for single, elderly women. I am neither single nor elderly (just ignore my previous posts about "Murder, She Wrote"...), but I adored this gorgeous inn. The renovations joined several single rooms into suites, and the interior is both contemporary (with vintage touches) and unique. No two suites are alike, and when you make your reservation you can go online and pick exactly which room to stay in!

I chose the Tyree Suite, which was feminine and very, very pink:The bed was actually ridiculously comfortable. I've never experienced such a comfortable bed away from home. When I arrived, the proprietor carried my luggage to my room, and the proprietress herself served me a complimentary breakfast every morning in a stunning dining room (eggs, toast, bacon, and sausage, made to order). The bathroom was small but just enough for one girl with too many beauty products.There was a nice writing desk and mounted television (I had forgotten how much I hate commercials!). Plus, each room is equipped with a Mac mini. Srsly. (However, I will confess that I have no idea what to actually do with a Mac mini and never touched the thing. But still. Very cool.)A sweet little bottle of wine was left for the guest's enjoyment (though at $13 per bottle, this guest did not partake).But who needs wine when you get this for free? Each night I returned to my room and was greeted by the warm lights turned on, my bed turned down, and an evening glass of port and dark chocolates. Such a wonderful touch!The building is exceedingly lovely and beats a Radisson or Marriott any day. I highly recommend this inn if you are traveling in the Durham area. I would love to return for a pleasure trip with Husband sometime! The city and Duke campus are beautiful, and to have a place to return to each night that was such high caliber was a pure treat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to go to there!

KittyMarie said...

You should visit! It was just so delightful!