Friday, June 20, 2008

Feelin' fine

I began a new job this week at a Big, Fancy University. I am the new Editorial Associate for the Big, Fancy University's Press, and will be working on book-length projects. The position seems daunting due to the workload and need for a detailed understanding of how the publishing process works, as well as a solid familiarity with all of the current and future projects the Press is undertaking. In addition, the boss who hired me will be moving on to another Bigger, Fancier University in just six weeks, so I will need to learn very fast.

After three years of education and one year of work (or compensated servitude) at my alma mater, leaving has dredged up all kinds of wonderful feelings of inadequacy. In my mind, I'm not smart enough, talented enough, or determined enough. I guess I'm just not enough. However, I'm clinging to a phrase a former co-worker mentioned several times: I'm going to "fake it 'til I make it!" Maybe in the process of faking it, I'll become enough!

On a more positive note, I am working just two blocks from my hubby, so we can carpool to work and have lunch together each and every day! For me, that is the best part of my new job. Our first anniversary will be next month and I still can't get enough of him! I must have some kind of addiction... We are eating better ("better"meaning like normal people - previously, we were on a strict diet of lunch meat and fast food) and taking walks almost every day. We are also living with my in-laws, which seems to be working out fine for both sides, although I realize our boxes can be a bit annoying. Our search for a house goes on and on. However, in general things are looking up since we left our former residence (a.k.a. dorm room) and we're excited to start living our lives more fully (and with a kitchen...)

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think you're the best and you continue to improve yourself. If I thought you were a quitter we probably wouldn't have dated in the first place :-* I, among numerous others, am very proud of you and I happen to be very glad to be spending the rest of my life with you.