Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Birthday celebration

I submit to you the following exhibits, proof that I am a pretty darn good wife.

We celebrated Husband's birthday this past Thursday, and I finally got to give him the gifts I've been hiding and plotting about for a long time. I was very excited.

When we visited Katz's Deli during our vacation to New York this summer, I started to wonder if I could somehow order up some of that deliciousness back home in Indiana. By the magic of Fed-Ex, I could! A two-person meal included pastrami (you get a choice between pastrami or corned beef), 2 pickles, 8 slices of seedless rye bread, 2 square potato knishes, and a 1/2 pound of Katz's mustard. I ordered the deliciousness at 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning, and the package arrived by 3:30 p.m. the following day.
Husband was pretty happy (and extremely surprised). He's also now a pastrami convert; I don't think there's any possibility of a return to corned beef after this experience.
In addition, ever since the New York vacation (are you seeing a trend here?), when we visited the Lego Store, Husband has been coveting the Lego Death Star Kit. He kept talking about it, and talking about it, and talking about it, and I had to keep disparaging it so he wouldn't know that I'd already ordered it in mid-July. Or, rather, that I was extremely sneaky and asked sistercousin to order it so that the charge wouldn't appear on our credit card statement! I had the (giant, heavy) box shipped to my parents' house where I wrapped the monster and then snuck it over to my in-laws', where he finally opened it. My in-laws went in on it with me, which turned out to be a great gift from all of us.
He was shocked by the size of the manual.
He almost has it completed (in just five days). If he wasn't required to go to work and to sleep, I think it would have been finished a bit earlier.
I will post pictures of the final product soon.

Oh, and I also made him a pecan pie (perfect recipe here). Because I'm like that. (He said it was the best pecan pie yet, but I'm afraid he may be legally obligated to provide that compliment.)
I hope you had an amazing 28th birthday, my love! I have more fun planning for your birthday than I do mine! I'm so glad we got to spend it together!

No comments: