Sunday, August 28, 2011

Motivation

The last few years have seen massive changes to the interior of our home. We still have a few things we want to change, but for the most part, we've completely revamped the house to our taste. It is completely different from when we bought it, and we love what we've accomplished.

The outside of our home, however, is a different story. It looks pretty much abandoned. Any changes that have taken place mostly center around removal: we ripped out ugly bushes in front of our porch; we took a chainsaw to several badly placed or dying trees; we've drug wheelbarrow full loads of rocks from our vegetable garden area (and by "we," in most instances, I mean "anyone in my family except for me").

We have had the best intentions of making the outside of our home as beautiful as the inside. But...the best laid plans...

Then, last weekend, my in-laws dropped by with an amazing gift. They gave us a set of chairs and table that they had found on sale. I had wanted to purchase something for our front porch for a long time, but it just never happened. And then, like magic, they showed up; I couldn't have chosen a better set; I absolutely love what they found. They are pretty much the best in-laws ever.
This has helped provide the motivation that I needed. I finally called a local landscaper. His estimate will arrive this week. Once we get a nice, rain-free weekend, Husband and I will finally stain the front porch a lovely dark brown (and this will also hopefully eradicate our carpenter bee problem). Then the landscaper can do his stuff, and we can get our electrician to install some new light fixtures.

I am so darn excited.

2 comments:

John said...

You should make Kyle install the light fixtures! It's really pretty easy and would save some money.

I could help!

KittyMarie said...

Yeaaaaaaahhh...I foresee hospital waiting rooms and electrical fires (because of Husband, not you, of course!). I wish we were more do-it-yourself-ers... :)