Friday, October 2, 2009

Why my liver cries

First off, I am not a big alcohol drinker. I will tolerate anything mixed and topped with fruit, but I can usually detect the faintest hint of alcohol in even the most pink, sugared, girly drink, and I find most of it simply unpalatable. Aside from gin and tonics, which I think are somehow quite refreshing, I would prefer a regular Coke any day. It's fattening enough without the added octane (probably because I will drink five of them in one sitting...).

That said, I am about to recommend a wine that will make your life worth living. If you don't believe in a good and gracious God, this will change your mind. It might even cure the world of all manners of disease and pestilence. I'm just saying. It's that good.

Stella Rosa, which translates to "Star Rose" according to Babel Fish (my go-to source for my old French homework), is a red dessert wine, "to be served with fruit and cheese," according to the label. Previously, I have never found red wine to be anything but disgusting. A beverage that makes your mouth dry after consumption is surely the work of some kind of devil practicing for your inevitable stay in the fifth circle of hell. But this is seriously delicious. Even better, the bottle is just beautiful. Simple, elegant, striking.


It is from the Piedmont region of Italy, and according to my dear friend Philboy, you can acquire Stella Rosa at Binny's Beverage Depot in Chicago (which, in my opinion, is the best name ever for a liquor store). Their Web site lists it for $11.99, so while your liver may cry from overcomsumption, your wallet will not.

Philboy and his lovely girlfriend purchased two bottles for me, which I have been selfishly hoarding until I have an occasion of celebration worthy of indulgement. We're having guests over to OUR ALMOST COMPLETED HOUSE tonight, and I just might have to break open a bottle.

We're headed to Chicago soon, and if I can sneak away at any point, I will hightail it to the nearest of the "22 Chicagoland Superstores" and buy a case or thirty.

I think you should, too.

No comments: