Thursday, April 14, 2011

Art for art's sake

I feel lucky to work on a university campus, because it is generally a progressive environment, a place where art is embraced, and even the common employee gets the chance to enjoy something beautiful and interesting and creative. There are two such projects near the building where I work now (one permanent and the one that will stand for two years).

The first is a sculpture by Deborah Butterfield. It wasn't until I read this article about the sculpture that I realized the statue is made from bronze, not wood. My mind is suitably blown.
The other piece, which will only stand for two years, is entitled "Sidewinder" and was created from black willow and red maple saplings by Patrick Dougherty (with assistance from students in Art & Design and Landscape Architecture). The piece is interactive in that one can walk through the narrow branch corridors.





4 comments:

blind irish pirate said...

Those are my two favorite art pieces. I still think that the "dancing couple" outside of Pao looks like an Easter Island head...

Unknown said...

Those are really interesting! It must be nice to work at a place where you get such unique scenery - do you find a new path through the stick maze everyday?

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow these are so unique! I bet that is a really neat place to work. REally like your blog. Glad that I found it!

KittyMarie said...

BlindIrish: I had no idea that statue is of a "dancing couple." I TOTALLY thought it was a play on the Easter Island head too! WTH?!

It is, Katie! Our lunch walks take us all over campus, but I'm not sure if Husband has tried out the maze yet:)

Thanks, Alicia! Glad you're here!