Monday, May 23, 2011

A post with cute plants and asterisks



As of one week ago today, our garden* was officially in the ground. This is a huge accomplishment for me, because in the past few years, I haven't been able to get a garden in the ground before Memorial Day.

As of yesterday, my mother-in-law's garden** was officially in the ground. This is a huge accomplishment, because this is her First Garden Ever. She's on my bandwagon.

In addition to outside vegetables and fruit, Husband and I are trying our hands at a little indoor herb garden. So far we just have rosemary and thyme planted, but we're looking to expand. The thyme plants are up (I planted them a week ago today also), and they are just the cutest little things you'd ever see.
*minus some surprisingly devious melon plants, which have walked off the shelves of at least three local stores, foiling my attempts to have a completed garden. A pox upon area garden centers!

**except for her cucumber plans, which have yet to be purchased. I like pickles,*** but I do not care for cucumbers. I also do not care for canning, which inevitably takes place on the hottest day of the year, but which one must do with cucumbers in order to get pickles. In summary, you're on your own, lady.

***last summer my grandfather spent a ridiculous amount of time arguing with his grandchildren over whether pickles and cucumbers are, essentially, the same thing. He thought they were two completely different vegetables. I fail to understand how someone lives to the age of 85 (*cough* he was a farmer *cough*) without knowing this fact.****

****86 as of today; happy birthday, Grandpa*****

*****no more asterisks, I promise.

No comments: