Friday, July 10, 2009

Update and thanks

One week ago today my father was taken to the hospital via ambulance, essentially paralyzed. Today, thanks to the invasive but effective surgery, he is able to move his left leg and is now regaining the ability to wiggle the toes on his right. He was moved to room 537, which is a far less intensive care unit. He is also off his morphine drip and oxygen and is taking oral pain pills. He was even able to sit up in a chair for an hour or so yesterday, although the exertion did exhaust him. He still has a long road of rehabilitation ahead of him, but I think his stamina and quick recovery, in spite of his advanced age, surprises even the doctors who oversee his care. He may be moved to another hospital or nursing home facility soon to receive the physical and occupational therapy that he requires. He won't be able to join us this coming week to celebrate our second wedding anniversary, but he is still here, and he still lives with vitality, and I am so thankful for that. I cannot adequately express my appreciation for your support - both acknowledged and silent. I struggle with my own religious views at the moment, but I do know the placebic power of prayer and well wishes for the patient and loved ones. Thank you.

P.S. I am not really sure if "placebic" is a real word or not, but it sure sounds like one, right?!

No comments: