Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Look it up

I just thought you all should know that I think this blog is really working for its intended purpose: helping me to stretch my vocabulary and compositional muscles. I feel my creative-writing prowess returning slowly (if there ever was any prowess to begin with...). Yesterday, I used both the words "effusion" and "proclivities" in casual correspondence. Granted, I spelled "proclivities" wrong, and I'm not convinced I used the words correctly, but, hey, give me a break, I'm trying, okay?

If I accomplish nothing else with this blog, I hope I use at least one word that is archaic or complicated enough to make you look it up. Whenever I asked my mother a question, she never failed to bust out the "look it up" phrase while pointing to our trusty World Book Encyclopedia. I unleash upon you my years of pent-up frustration of "Don't make it complicated; I don't want to look it up; just tell me already!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go you for stretching that vocabulary and compositional muscle.

My purpose for starting a blog was mainly for something to help jog my memory of events I from yesteryear

Unlike you, words don't flow as freely and coherent with me. I always know what I want to write but jotting it down in an understandable manner is a different thing.

I always make the mistake of combining all my thoughts into one so when I go back to proof read, I am all like "wtf, mate?".

What I lack in coherence, I make up with freely expressing myself...as incoherent as most of my thoughts may be.

KittyMarie said...

I think that the more one writes and gets his or her thoughts down the easier it comes. However, as my dear college adviser quoted often, "first drafts are shit."