Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One ring to rule them all...

As an addendum to last week's post about Husband and my beginning, I thought I would include a story about how we came to be married to one another: The Proposal.

I had just finished my sophomore/junior year at Dinky College and Husband and I decided to spend some time in the Biggest City Within 50 Miles that fateful June Saturday. It seemed like any other outing. We made the rounds and dined at O'Charley's with Diosthocles and his baby brother. Apparently, when I felt the call of nature and excused myself to the restroom, Husband whipped out his Precious from his cargo shorts and told the two of his plans (they were the only people to know when he would actually propose). He'd had the ring for a little while and had visited my parents to ask for their blessing several days before, unbeknownst to me (yeah, he's an old fashioned fella). I'm sure keeping that news quiet about did my talkative Mother in, but she succeeded and I was completely clueless, as I usually am.

In addition to being completely clueless, when it comes to Husband, I am also extremely gullible. On our drive home, at sunset, he suddenly said his car was acting up and losing acceleration (of course, he just took his foot off the gas pedal). He pulled off the main road onto the side of a quiet gravel road. I got all nervous and asked if he wanted me to call my Dad to come help, but he said he had the proper equipment in his trunk and that this had happened before. Here's the worst gullible part:

Husband had gotten me a small diamond ring for Christmas a year or so before. I always wore it on my left ring finger because it didn't get in the way as much on that hand. So, while Husband opened his trunk and walked to the rear of the car, he told me he needed me to look at the hot engine under the open hood, so I should take off all of my jewelry (uhm...so it didn't melt to my body?). I complied, taking off all of my jewelry (oh, yes, earrings included) and walked to the front of the car.

Then, Husband walked up and knelt on one knee. To be completely honest, my brain went into shock and I have absolutely no memory of what he said, aside from him addressing me by my full name. My memory jumpstarts again with me crying and answering with, "Yes."

We got back in the car, I put my earrings back on, and ogled the lovely ring he had offered me. We went to my parents' house first to tell them the good news (my Mother was, understandably, relieved to have her gag order lifted). On the way to tell Husband's parents, we called those nearest and dearest to us, repeating the story of Husband's improptu, perfect proposal. And THAT'S all she wrote.

1 comment:

blind irish pirate said...

THAT is one of the ONLY proposal stories pre-planned, cute and perfect, that I can get behind, 100%. ;)