Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The neverending cycle of birthdays

Happy birthday (uhm...yesterday...because I'm a bad person) to BabyBrotherInLaw! He can now legally go out and partake in alcoholic beverages.

But, really, after 21, it's all downhill. Sure, at 25 you can rent a car and ten years after that you can become President. The truly joyful parts of life don't come in the form of birthday milestones. They come in the middle of the summer when you get married or in the middle of the winter when your child is born or the middle of the spring when you see your first grandchild.

We're all getting too old, too fast. Wasn't I just a few days ago looking forward to summer vacation with my parents, my first birthday as a teenager, my high school graduation? Time marches on. And in just about three months I will be 23.

Ridiculous.

No comments: