Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I wasn't sure that we would make it...

...but we finally did. November 4 is here. It's today! Get out there and vote! It's a small, precious act, but it's all we've got.

Husband and I are planning to leave work a bit early today to hit up the polls. This will be the second presidential election that I have the opportunity to vote in, and I am surprised by how interested I am this time around. This will be a history-making election, either way the vote swings, and it is an honor to be apart of it. Everyone has a right to keep their vote to themselves, but I will gladly announce that today I will be voting for Barack Obama for President. Not because I think he is the best person in the country for the job, not because I think he is America's political messiah who will right every wrong that we face today, but, for me, he is the lesser of two evils (a sentiment I felt echoed in the last presidential election). As a woman, I am embarassed for Sarah Palin. As an American, I am embarased for John McCain choosing her as a running mate. I am embarassed for his intolerance of issues I believe in, based upon religious convictions rather than civil liberties. To be sure, there are plenty of issues heralded by the Democratic party that embarass me, and I do not claim either side, but I will buy right in to Obama's oft-repeated catch phrases; this country needs change. If McCain wins, nothing will change, for better or for worse. I'm taking a chance on change for the better. At least it will be different.

If nothing else, I hope Obama wins, just so I can see the looks on my staunchly Republican grandparents' faces. That will be the real treat.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I think Obama won't win, but one might do well to consider the change that he wants to make. I'm kinda glad to be living in a state now where my vote doesn't matter because I don't think I can bring myself to vote for either of them. My real concern now is if the Democrats win 60 seats in the Senate. Which is looking dangerously possible just now. :-/

KittyMarie said...

I would much rather have Obama's finger on the Big Red Button as opposed to McCain. Plus, we have to deal with the very real possibility that the VP has a potentially higher than normal chance of becoming President. President Palin? Seriously?

One of them is going to win either way. By not voting, one only resigns themselves to complacency.

Anonymous said...

Well I kinda can't vote so eh. And I really wasn't saying that mccain was the better choice just that you should look at the way obama thinks. Besides maybe if mccain was indisposed she'd be assassinated and we'd just have.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

>.> <.< sorry nightmare there, but anyway..

Can't vote due to needing to do more stuff before becoming a resident here and not having realized that that would take time so didn't get an absentee. And by my vote being inconsequential I mean I'm in a state that is basically 100% red.

Diosthocles said...

I've never been one for voting. Not because I don't care who has their finger on the "big red button" like you said, but because I don't educate myself about the candidates, what they stand for, or if it would benefit me to have whomever as Prez.

Only time I can see myself voting is if Bill Clinton could run again. I think he was a great President and I didn't care if he got a few BJ's from a certain someone who wasn't his wife (I don't endorse adultery in case anyone is wondering). At least he didn't put the country in the crapper like dubyah has. But what do I know right? I just base my opinions of Bill Clinton on his way with words.

KittyMarie said...

The nation has spoken regardless and I am so relieved it is over! Maybe I'll get you to vote next election, Diosthocles!

Diosthocles said...

you've tried before and failed then. :-P.

KittyMarie said...

I'll get you to the polls yet!