Friday, May 28, 2010

Summertime, and the livin' is easy

It isn't officially summertime yet (not for another 24 days), but with the hot, soul-sucking humidity that has once again reared it's sweaty head, it might as well be.

Now that we have come out of hibernation, we can start enjoying the outside of our home. For our anniversary last year, I bought husband a grill, and we are finally about to use it!


I bought him the apron too. Yes, it has Boba Fett on the front.


To work off all of those steaks and hamburgers, we're going to have to do a lot more of this. Of course, we only did this for about a week. Then we bought a rider. Do you know how much grass we have to mow?


Someday soon (soon being a relative term in my universe), I will finally plant these tulips...which are no longer beautiful, vibrant flowers so much as a dry-looking pot of dirt...but they will rise again!


A lovely, sweet young friend purchased a hummingbird feeder for me as a wedding gift, and this is the first summer I have been able to use it! Last night husband and I were standing right behind this when a little hummingbird came up to eat...about a foot from my face! I could not believe how close the little lady came; I could even see her minuscule tongue flicking in and out of her slender beak. I hope to lay in wait more in the weeks to come and try to get an extreme close-up! I inherited the other bird feeder from my mother. She had purchased it to hang outside my dad's room at the nursing home last summer/fall so he could look at the birds (and sneaky, gluttonous squirrels). I am glad to now be able to give it a slightly more cheerful place to live.

And finally, I BEAT MYSELF. I got my garden almost completely planted last night, beating my Memorial Day record from last year by three whole days! The only pending plans are tomatoes and watermelon, which I want to buy as starter seedlings as I think it's too late to start from scratch. This year so far I have planted: "kandy" corn, green beans, peas, spinach, sugar snap peas, carrots, pumpkins, and two kinds of melon. I'm looking forward to a bumper crop. If anything, we grow rocks pretty well in this little plot.


I think next year we need to go bigger!


Husband, contemplating his wacko wife.

2 comments:

whiskey9cjo said...

Mmm.. Ash and I smelled your delicious grilled steaks in the air.

KittyMarie said...

I think we should have you over for some of those sometime soon! :)